Saturday, May 11

Frankley My Dears...

For motorists journeying along the M5 from the West Midlands into Worcestershire (and beyond), Frankley is a place most associated with motorway service stations although there's a little more to it than that. I attempted to explore these other aspects of Frankley as part of an outing that also embraced Woodgate Valley, Bartley Green and Illey...


- Quinton Library -
What with Rail Rover and Redditch among my most recent explorations, I've almost been neglecting the West Midlands of late so Friday 10th May 2019 was my chance to redress the balance. I start out by catching the number 24 bus at Birmingham's Colmore Row, noting that the Paradise Circus redevelopment scheme means the route uses Cambridge Street rather than Broad Street when heading out of city. The ride through Chad Valley and Harborne is peaceful enough before I alight at Quinton Library, a local branch facility on Ridgacre Road.


- Quinton Police Station -
My walk begins in earnest with glimpses of Worlds End (no, not a post-Brexit armageddon but a suburban district of Birmingham) and other Quinton landmarks. The former Monarch roadhouse pub is now operating as the Island Inn Desi-type establishment while Quinton Police Station no longer operates a public enquiries desk. Simmons Drive is my gateway into the Woodgate Valley North estate where I recall the 103 bus used to terminate during my early photographic adventures; I can't always keep track of the current route numbers but it seems the 10, 10H and 10S call along here now.


- Woodgate Valley Walkway -
Woodgate Valley is an area of open space that comprises some 450 acres straddling the Bourn Brook between Quinton and Bartley Green. It takes a bit of detective work (i.e. getting lost around the back of some houses) to find a path into the country park, but once I've got my bearings I can enjoy getting pictures through the trees in some pleasant springtime sunshine. A bridge takes me over the brook as some excitable dogs splash about in the water, then I emerge into Woodgate Valley South courtesy of Sommerfield Road. The Coopers Arms has long closed on the corner of Bean Croft although the Hobsons Choice still appears to be trading as part of the precinct at Illeybrook Square. 


- Bartley Green Social Club -
Clapgate Lane and Jiggins Lane serve as my means of approaching Bartley Green, a district of Birmingham that takes me back to my fledgling camera outings circa 2002/2003. Some of my previous photo targets remain in place, including the war memorial, St Michael & All Angels Church and the Cock, plus its great to add in some new items such as the Social Club and a medical practice. The local shops are situated on Curdale Road and appear to be going strong with few vacant units; among the family businesses represented here are Murphy's Meats and Hickton's Funeral Directors.


- Bartley Reservoir -
Greggs supplies my lunchtime snack so I make my way along Scotland Lane looking for a suitable vantage point at which to tuck in. I've got the ideal spot in mind, looking out over Bartley Reservoir as the sun continues to make a welcome appearance. The reservoir opened in 1930 to provide drinking water to the people of Birmingham and is nowadays a popular place for sailing and bird-watching, it's certainly a relaxing location for me to capture on camera from my picnic table perch!


- St Leonard's, Frankley -
And so to the centrepiece of today's jaunt... Frankley, nestled on the urban fringe where Birmingham meets Worcestershire. I'm investigating the old village centre rather than the modern estate at Holly Hill, so Church Hill has a distinct country lane feel with high hedgerows, narrow bends and limited visibility. St Leonard's is my star discovery, a parish church that traces its origins back to the year 1087 and seems quite isolated with only a few farms for company. The churchyard is well maintained and perfectly peaceful, just right for some calm contemplation


- The Black Horse -
A further stretch of Church Hill brings me to Frankley Green on the Worcestershire side of the county boundary. Scattered houses suggest quite a small settlement and there are footpaths off to the enticing environs of Romsley or Hunnington. I however take Ravenhayes Lane up past the edges of Kitwell with views of the afore-mentioned motorway services (operated by Moto with facilities both northbound and southbound). My next target is Illey, a little village that is home to the Black Horse pub which seems to be popular with family diners. A drop of Doom Bar wards off any threat of thirstiness while a toddler tries to scream the place down - should have brought my earplugs!


- Home dugout at Bartley Green FC -
Illey Lane is a tad too precarious for pedestrian comfort so I decide to go cross country to get to Halesowen. My choice of path means I stumble quite literally onto the pitch at Bartley Green FC for an unexpected peek at the home and away dugouts - all quite rudimentary in keeping with the basic clubhouse. Field tracks and the occasional stile then follow as I plot a course for Manor Way, although my hopes of adding Halesowen Abbey to my archives are scuppered by a sudden downpour. The number 9 bus swishes to my rescue and it's then a case of drying out whilst negotiating typical Friday afternoon traffic homewards to Wolverhampton - cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:31 pm

    Frankley is one of those places I've not been to in Brum so a good effort on your behalf as clearly there isn't much in the way of pubs there...Woodgate Valley looks terrific though!!
    Britain Beermat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beermat, yes the pubs took a bit of a back seat on this particular outing although the Black Horse was decent enough for a quick pint - it's not the easiest one to walk to given the rabbit run lanes though. I've done most of the other local boozers before at some point, including the Hobsons Choice (proper precinct flat roof), the Highlander and the Balmoral so there is stuff you could investigate over that way. Woodgate Valley is nice enough as a welcome bit of greenery sandwiched between the two housing estates, and the reservoir has a bit of beauty spot potential too. Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  2. My local area ! I like Frankley M5 Services (North and Southbound) The road running alongside Bartley Resr often features in the BBC tv Doctors soap opera (usually when there is a car crash)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malcolm, I'll have to keep an eye out on Doctors to see when the road makes an appearance! Although I've explored Bartley Green and Holly Hill a few times previously, this was my first visit to Frankley Green and I really enjoyed it. The church was the stand out feature for me although the farms and country lanes made for quite a contrast compared with the housing estates I'd walked through earlier in the day. All the best, Paul

      Delete