Saturday, June 18

Exploring Earlswood

Several years of exploration antics have meant that there aren't too many corners of the West Midlands that I haven't at least some passing knowledge of, but there are still occasional outings where I pitch up somewhere I've never been before. Today's adventure is one such example, introducing me to Earlswood for the very first time...

- 172 217 at Earlswood -
Catching the 09:12 Stratford-upon-Avon departure from Smethwick Galton Bridge, I eagerly anticipate a personally significant piece of WME history. Thinking back on the original Centro rail network map I started out with many moons ago, every West Midlands station had been chalked off as visited bar one notable exception - yes Earlswood was the missing link and now here I was about to arrive at that final frontier. In truth the station isn't especially interesting, a simple halt with a car park, a shelter on either platform and a garden centre just up the road, but completing my collection makes it somewhat special all the same.

- Lady Lane Bridge -
Now to explore the wider Earlswood area, beginning with Rumbush Lane and Wood Lane passing the Methodist Church and part of the Clowes Wood Nature Reserve. Earlswood village centre seems to be a fair distance away from the station and I avoid it for a little while yet, instead taking Lady Lane past the Red Lion and onwards to find the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal. Lady Lane Wharf sits beside Bridge 16 and marks the start of my towpath stroll, initially stretching out in a northerly fashion to reach Bridge 15 at Braggs Farm Lane near Dickens Heath. 

- Blue Bell Cider House -
Having retraced my steps back to Lady Lane Wharf, I am intrigued to spot the canal's feeder arm branching off towards the collection of reservoirs known as Earlswood Lakes. I however stick with the main line to reacquaint myself with Salter Street, briefly surfacing at Bridge 17 to take a look at St Patrick's Parish Church (a fine building) and associated primary school academy. Just a little further and Bridge 19 at Warings Green is accompanied by the Blue Bell Cider House, a pub I'd previously visited with D9 although it has since gained its own microbrewery. Needless to say I couldn't resist sampling their wares with the naturally hazy Brewster's Special proving fresh and flavoursome, very nice. With muddy boots on I make sure to sit in the traditional bar, a lovely room with a narrowboat-inspired counter surround.

- Engine Pool -
My circuitous approach to Earlswood village continues with Limekiln Lane which in turn reveals the Bulls Head, a rather upmarket outpost for the Thwaites Brewery - the suntrap beer garden here is an inviting setting for some Magic Sponge, a special ale for the Euro 2016 football championships. With the physio having declared me fit for action once more, I press on along Shutt Lane to finally reach the village centre - notable features include the village hall, a Co-op post office store and the Reservoir (a Hungry Horse chain outlet I didn't feel tempted to try). Valley Road then presents my first proper glimpse of Earlswood Lakes, three man-made reservoirs built to maintain the water levels in the afore-mentioned Stratford Canal. Windmill Pool and Engine Pool sit either side of Malthouse Lane and I pause to enjoy the relaxing scenery, looking out across the waters with several ducks and geese to keep me company.

- The Lakes Station -
The third of the lakes is Terry's Pool as the reservoirs together form a popular walking attraction and wildlife haven. After a couple more panoramic pictures I close in on my final target of the day as Malthouse Lane reveals The Lakes halt, a request stop station that is just about in Warwickshire (as indeed is Earlswood's village centre). Facilities are basic but nonetheless adequate as I await the 14:51 train, giving the driver a wave to make sure he stopped for me. My ride home is relaxing and uneventful, reflecting on the fact that another far flung pocket of the West Midlands county has now received the WME treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment