Thursday, January 7

Camera Calamity...

New Year's Eve marked not only the end of 2009, but also the final moments for my trusty Fujifilm digital camera. I'd actually enjoyed quite a nice (but cold) afternoon out, during which I ventured into Whitmore Reans to explore the terraced areas in the shadow of Molineux Stadium. The camera at this point seemed to be working fine as I collected shots of Central Baths and the Newhampton Arts Centre, whilst at Leicester Square I was more concerned about the encroaching darkness than any camera malfunction.

I got the camera safely home and browsed through the thumbnails as usual, but when I later came to transfer the images onto computer, the camera just wouldn't respond. For some reason or another, the power had developed a fault and all efforts to revive the thing failed - its almost as if it had waited until the end of the decade and then died. This all leaves me somewhat bereft whilst I await the arrival of my replacement model, and the recent heavy snow has only added to the sense of frustration when I think about the wintry scenes I've missed out on.

Looking back though, the camera served me very well during the course of many adventures. It's first outing came on a trip to Hamstead and West Brom in October 2005, and it instantly proved a step up from its 1.3 megapixel predecessor. Along the way it got battered and bruised, wet on occasions, and encountered snow, ice and fog, thus proving its versatility in a range of conditions. True, it was never great at taking photos indoors, and it had persistent zoom errors towards the end, but it still feels like the end of a little era. I can only hope that my new camera maintains the legacy by capturing many more treasured memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment