Sunday, January 31

2 in 2

After a relatively sedate start to the year on the exploration front, it was time to grab the bus pass and camera again as I embarked on two trips in two days...

Friday 29th January: Destination Birmingham, with a side order of Shirley. I start in the City Centre, investigating the Children's Hospital and Law Courts, whilst Aston University's campus at Gosta Green offered a few tempting shots of the Sacks of Potatoes pub. The main purpose of the outing though was to say goodbye to a couple of bus routes facing the chop, starting with the 12 and a ride down to Shirley Station via Stoney Lane - the new 3/3A combination takes over from Monday. At Shirley, I was surprised to find that the station forecourt had undergone a mini-makeover and that my favourite green bus shelter had disappeared!

Also on my bus hitlist was the 32, so I weave my way up Bills Lane hoping for a photo at the church terminus. The route traditionally avoids the gaze of my camera lens, but today it just about behaved itself, thank goodness! Further bonuses arrive courtesy of the Shirley Institute and the Plume of Feathers, then I tick off the Saracens Head and the Red Lion for good measure, the latter being a curious 1960s-type block on the end of a row of shops.

Next it's Hall Green, brazenly pausing for pictures of the landmark Robin Hood pub, now part of the Toby Carvery chain. Pitmaston Road leads me to Gospel Oak, where I am greeted by the sad sight of the Oak pub surrounded by hoardings and with most of its windows smashed in - another one about to bite the dust? The 32 arrives on the scene to whisk me off to Yardley via Gospel Lane, Acocks Green and the Lyndon - an extended 31 and a new 42 lie in wait as the replacements in this case.

Alighting on the Coventry Road, Yardley seemed particularly grim in the biting wind and hail. I bravely negotiated the subways and flyover footbridge to attempt a photo of the return 32 on layover outside the flattened remains of the Swan Centre precinct. South Yardley Library is handy for a browse and a warm, and then I decide to walk it up to Sheldon for a look at the branch library there, not forgetting the Stirrup Cup on Horrell Road.

My final piece of today's bus jigsaw was the 41, which will also be partially replaced by the 42. The route as it stands is a convoluted affair linking the College Arms and the Baldwin via a big loop of Acocks Green, Yardley and Olton. My destination is the Baldwin, where I grab a couple of layover pics, some lunch and a pub photo too. I finish the outing with a quick flurry of activity, catching the 5 to Sarehole Road then having a mooch around Swanshurst Park and Sarehole Mill. The 11A allows me to sneak a view of Acocks Green Garage and I wrap things up at Spring Road Station, surveying the tumbledown corrugated shack then legging it for the oncoming train.

Saturday 30th January: as if all that wasn't enough excitement, I'm back on the beat the day after as I join Dad for the second of our Black Country pub tours. Our first port of call is Halesowen, taking lunch in the William Shenstone Wetherspoon's before sampling the shabby delights of the Waggon and Horses. This is a true old-fashioned drinker's pub, where the beer is king and the surroundings are authentic to the extent that it looks like the place hasn't been decorated for decades. There are a good dozen or so real ales available, with Dad plumping for Batham's bitter and me on the Shropshire Gold. We find a comfy wooden bench where we can reflect on a distinctive, pleasurable drinking experience.

Next is a bit of a walk, up through Hawne to Windmill Hill where I pounce for a photo of the Round of Beef. We catch the 9 back into Stourbridge, and I then take Dad on a tour of Enville Street and Wollaston. There are a wide selection of pubs to choose from, including Bathams' the Royal Exchange and the Unicorn, whilst the Somerset House caught my eye as a corner Banks's. Dad doesn't feel ready for another pint just yet though, so we continue on into Amblecote where we make the Robin Hood our final stop of the day. The pub is perched on Collis Street and has a friendly atmosphere where you can relax and strike up a conversation over a nice pint. Here Dad sticks to the Batham's whilst I'm tempted by the Simpkiss courtesy of Enville Ales, bringing the old brewing name back to life. We consider the merits of having a good local pub nearby as news filters through of Wolves' progress away at Hull - they eventually fight back from behind twice to draw 2-2. The 259 and 255 buses then secure our passage back to Wolverhampton, and we are both already looking forward to the third installment of the fledgling series.

No comments:

Post a Comment