Wednesday, September 3

A Maypole Dance

Yesterday saw me back on the Birmingham beat enjoying a classic outing during which I explored Northfield, Rednal, Selly Oak and the Maypole. Here's what I got up to...

Northfield - returning to Northfield was like visiting an old friend. Beginning at the station, I got a couple of train and station entrance shots whilst a ginger tom cat prowled the car park. Then it was a walk up to St Lawrence's Church for photos of the lich gate, the Great Stone pub and the village pound. I called in at Northfield Library before arriving at the Bell to observe the hustle and bustle of the Bristol Road whilst waiting for my bus to come.

635 - I was planning on catching the 62 down to Rednal, but the route seemed to be avoiding me (and not for the first time!) Instead I caught the 635 across to the Maypole, an intriguing winding route that covered a number of residential streets. Woodlands Road took us past Northfield Station, then its Middlemore Road into Wychall. Next its through a new housing estate, round West Heath Park and up the Fordrough past the shed-like library. West Heath Island is followed by West Heath Hospital, Aversley Road and then we venture through Pool Farm and up to Bells Lane. As a final surprise we run the gauntlet of Manningford Road with its plethora of speed bumps before arriving at the Maypole. An interesting ride, and there's still the return section back to Northfield to explore.

Maypole - An unexpected bonus which turned into a prized sample of Birmingham exploration. I was immediately in action taking a photo of a Choice 635 on layover, albeit a different bus to the one I had caught. I then had a look around the local shops, including the Maypole Chippy and a Barclays Bank, before spotting Idmiston Croft and a curious glazed building that turned out to be Druids Heath Library. Now I often like to track down local libraries whenever I'm exploring a new location, but this discovery was more of a happy accident - as it happens, the library is quite a new building with a friendly local feel inside. Making my way back to the bus stops, I was pondering over my next move when the 634 arrived, so I hopped on board for a ride back to Northfield doing the reverse of the 635 journey I had just encountered.

Rednal & Cofton Hackett - Back at Northfield then, where thankfully I had more luck catching the 62 this time. Last time I was down Longbridge way the old Rover buildings were still in place, so I was quite shocked to see much of the site had been flattened. I renewed my acquaintance with Rednal terminus and the Old Hare and Hounds pub, before making my way around Cofton Hackett. I had heard the local library here had closed due to vandalism and asbestos, but was surprised to find an empty patch of grass where the building once stood - I was quite fond of the old shed too, but I suppose you can't take any chances once asbestos has been discovered. I have a look at the old Rednal tram terminus tracks, pause for a spot of lunch and then make my way down Leach Green Lane into Rubery. This turned into something of a dash when the heavens opened, so I quickly tracked down the 63 and prepared to head home thinking that was that.

Selly Oak - The outing wasn't quite over though, as the sky seemed to be clearing heading back down the Bristol Road. By Selly Oak it was bright sunshine again, so it was on with the show! I took the opportunity to get a few pictures of a sodden swamp-like Selly Oak Park, before completing a trio of library visits with a look at the imposing Selly Oak facility complete with traditional library atmosphere, musty smells and wooden shelving. Next I brave Graffiti Central, otherwise known as Bournbrook Recreaton Ground, where the place is plastered with colourful street art that only just about outnumbers the utterly useless 'No graffiti' signs. A walk through the University of Birmingham campus completes proceedings, and its nice to roll back the years, waiting on University Station for my train home.

A fine example of Birmingham exploration there, even if I do say so myself. The outing proved instantly memorable, and followed neatly in the footsteps of many other favourite trips. My September explorations are off to a great start, now I just need to sort the site out...

No comments:

Post a Comment