Sunday, September 21

Almost Like Summer...

Like most people recently I've been wondering what's happened to the sunshine. Seemingly endless weeks of drizzle, rain and overcast conditions have rather turned the summer of 2008 into something of a damp squib - I shouldn't complain too much as I've still got out and about exploring with some regularity, but I must admit its been nice to have a little run of fine weather just lately...

Indeed, it was almost like summer as I made the most of the brightness with a good little outing Friday just gone. For starters I headed over to Sutton Coldfield - the town is one of the pillars of my exploration history, and it had been far too long since my last visit. I was pleased to find that the train station had lost none of its traditional charm, and then I made my way to King Edward Square for a look at the imposing town hall and war memorial, a real gem of a photo location. A gentle wander past Mill Street memorial gardens and down Trinity Hill brought me to Lower Parade, scene of so many memories and the gateway to several exciting bus adventures. This time around I found myself catching the 902 towards Hill Hook, providing a steady ride up past the college and through Four Oaks.

Mere Green was my next port of call, alighting for a quick shot of the Halfway House pub before investigating the local community based around the traffic island. Its quite a busy spot with roads branching off like spokes on a bicycle wheel, coupled with the hustle and bustle of the local shops and services. My eye was particularly caught by Barley's Bar, Lloyds TSB and Barclays neighbouring each other in a single bank building, and the post office tucked away on Lichfield Road. Heading down Mere Green Road, I find myself on the car park of Sainsbury's supermarket just in time to get a photo of the Midlands Rider 105 Sainsbury's Shuttle service - a most unexpected bonus considering I didn't even know the route existed! The customary visit to the local library came next - the building seemed new and purpose-built, with the library taking the first floor above the community centre. Then it was back to the island to wait for a bus, wondering which route would be first on the scene and what places I might be encountering next as a result.

The answer came in the form of the 366, providing a good old Metrobus on the ride through Little Aston into Aldridge. Alighting on Anchor Road, I hoped the 381 might be due as I quite fancied having a look at Shenstone - it wasn't, but no matter as my contigency plan well and truly came up trumps. So it was that I renewed my acquaintance with the Daw End Branch Canal, making the most of the bright sunshine with a cracking towpath walk. Joining the branch at Aldridge Wharf Bridge, I decided to head towards Rushall thus entering new territory as the canal weaves through industrial estates forming a green oasis amongst the workshops and factory units. Hopleys Bridge was a rather ugly and graffiti-riddled discovery, but Brawns Bridge was an altogether much more charming spot where the traditional bridge is set amongst quiet greenery overlooked by an old-fashioned canalside cottage. When doing my canal walks, it is precisely this type of location I am always hoping to find and I couldn't have wished for better.

My work on the Daw End thus completed, I ventured into the nearby Barns Lane estate for a spot of lunch along with a look at the local shops and the Farmers Boy pub. With the 997 bus conspicuous by its absence, I walked it into the centre of Rushall to renew my acquaintance with the war memorial and the library before pondering what my next move might be. The 394 was quickly on the scene, providing another Metrobus experience on the journey up to Brownhills.

From this point on, the trip focused on old haunts rather than new discoveries. I left the 394 at Anchor Bridge to join the Wyrley & Essington Canal, thus returning to one of my favourite stretches of the canal network. Flanked by Lindon Road, the canal arrives at Catshill Junction where I attempt the latest in a long line of shots of the junction bridge and signpost. The canal continues round towards Brownhills Market, where I'm greeted with a surprise - the old market footbridge has gone, replaced with a brand spanking new footbridge with long ramps sprawling out at either end. It goes to show that even the most familiar locations can undergo changes from time to time, so its always worth coming back for another look.

I finish off with photos of the market place - no market on a Friday so I have to make do with the skeletons of the stalls - and a glimpse of the sorry-looking old Brownhills clinic. Its replacement - the new health centre - is part of the Park View Centre alongside the relocated Brownhills Library, a nice joint facility that brings the old Town Hall back into use. The centre is my final call before I dash down to Pelsall Road in time for the 23 Green Bus to collect me on its way into Bloxwich (Mallory Crescent looks like an intriguing estate for future reference). And that was that - another Friday epic covering areas of Birmingham and Walsall. Now if only the sun can stay out for a few more weeks, we might just have a productive autumn...

No comments:

Post a Comment