Saturday, June 24

Meanwhile over in Bridgnorth...

The delightfully characterful Shropshire town of Bridgnorth is no stranger to the West Midlands Exploration blog for it is a place I've been visiting for days out since I was a mere lad. My archives tell me of several trips over the years - involving variously the Hub Marketing Board, the Chip Foundation, the Beardsmores and even a Beer Festival attendance or two - although the 2023 equivalent is simply a solo affair...

- The Great Bear -
Trip Log: Friday 23rd June 2023 and essentially it's that time of year when I need to use up my annual leave allocation, hence arranging this Bridgnorth bonus. The number 9 bus runs hourly from Wolverhampton (via Wightwick, Rudge Heath and Worfield) so I take advantage of the capped £2 single fare initiative; this means it costs me £4 in total there and back rather than having to buy a more expensive ticket. Arriving in High Town just before half past nine, I pitch straight into photographic action courtesy of Love Lane, passing the Endowed School en route to the agreeable open spaces of Ropewalk Dingle. Friars Street then reminds me that several locomotive-related sculptures are still on show around the town, including our old friend 'The Great Bear' as designed by Deborah Meredith.

- Oldbury Wells School -
One Bridgnorth enclave I'd hitherto never investigated is that of Oldbury Wells, a residential tangle of streets branching off Hollybush Road towards the A458 Bypass. Hillside cottages look rather attractive as I meander through to Oldbury Wells School with its 'Aspire, Enjoy, Achieve' motto. The school is split across two sites, the eastern half being home to a sixth form centre while the west side contains the main reception. This arrangement reflects that the school was originally two separate concerns - one for boys, one for girls - prior to these merging in the mid-1970s. After getting my bearings, I continue along the lane past Captains Road and join a footbridge over the dual carriageway. 

- St Nicholas Church, Oldbury -
On the far side of the bypass, I can venture into the small settlement of Oldbury Village which was included in the Domesday Book of 1086; the tenant-in-chief nearly 950 years ago was a chap by the name of Reginald the Sheriff and the population amounted to 13 households. I'd imagine its a slightly bigger place these days but perhaps not all that vastly different. Anyway, a church presence was first recorded here in 1138 although the current building as dedicated to St Nicholas is principally Victorian, dating from around 1863 whereby it serves as the centre of worship for the nearby community of Eardington too.

- Severn Valley Sightings -
Utilising Oldbury Road, I amble back into Bridgnorth making sure to pay my customary visit to the Severn Valley Railway station. Even on a drizzly overcast morning there is much to admire here, not least the upgraded refreshment rooms and traditional platform architecture. Diesel unit D9551 looks resplendent in green British Railways livery as it gets powered up over by the engine shed while the wider concourse is gearing up for a 1940s Weekend, hence the arrival of several sandbags and a NAAFI kiosk. I haven't brought along any Brylcreem nor starched my trousers sadly, plus I'm a day too early for participating in jive dancing classes, but it's nevertheless a lot of fun browsing around as preparations take shape.  

- A Stern Scarecrow -
Another Bridgnorth attraction I usually make a point of returning to are the Castle & Gardens as arranged around the ruins of a Norman fortification which was mostly destroyed during the English Civil War. The flowerbeds and bandstand look as immaculate as ever while I love the sense of humour represented by two cheeky scarecrows; one wears braces and has a pink watering can while the other has a hippie-style floral necklace (possibly in support of LGBT Pride Month). Further drizzle sees me seeking shelter in Wetherspoons (the Jewel of the Severn) for an opening pint of Brewster's Aromantica, infused with tropical citrus flavours.

- Bucolic Banks's at the Bell & Talbot -
This isn't a dedicated pubbing trip but a couple more watering holes will grace my agenda for the afternoon. The Crown is a tasteful Marston's affair with entrances off both Whitburn Street and the main High Street; a Hobgoblin Gold keeps me out of mischief whilst I watch some of the Women's Ashes test match from Trent Bridge, albeit England are struggling to take the last few Australian wickets. I then decamp to Salop Street for the rustic charms of the Bell & Talbot, quaffing a cracking pint of Ludlow Gold washed down with a ham and cheese cob. There can't be many finer ways to pass an hour or two than having some pints in Bridgnorth!

2 comments:

  1. Not much better than a few pints in Bridgnorth, indeed, Paul. Just hope they get that cliff railway sorted soon as I doubt many gentlefolk will be walking between high and low town !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin - yes, the cliff railway situation is becoming a long running debacle with wall repairs dragging on and the walkway outside the top station closed. I wasn't inclined to brave the climb myself on this occasion but have done so when feeling more energetic - it helps that the Black Boy is halfway up/down the hill if going via Cartway. Cheers, Paul

      Delete