Monday, September 5

Meanwhile over in Walsall...

You'll be pleased to know I've just about exhausted my Shakespearean inspirations for the time being and things will get back on a more even keel as I return to the West Midlands beat. Of the four boroughs that make up my beloved Black Country, Walsall doesn't tend to register as many WME trips as the others do, thus giving me ample justification for this September session...

- Hayward the Hippo -
It's Saturday 3rd September 2022 as I anticipate catching the 529 at Wolverhampton Bus Station, my wait being punctuated by pictures of Hayward the Hippo as part of the 'Wild in Wolves' trail that has been running during the school holidays. Ten wildlife-related sculptures have been dotted around the city centre, including Garrick the Gorilla at Queen Square and Zak Zebra in St Peter's Gardens. Hayward is a fragile beast so kiddies are advised not to clamber all over him when posing for the required selfies. The bus journey passes without incident and gives me an indication of progress with the M6 Junction 10 remodelling works - I'm sure local motorists will be delighted once this particular project is finally completed!

- Chamberlin & Hill Castings Ltd -
Upon arrival in Walsall, my first challenge is to collect pictures around The Chuckery. Holtshill Lane sets the ball rolling with the optimistically-named 'Happiness House' which acts as the base for Swinnertons Balloon and Party Emporium. One could probably have all manner of fun in there but I'll stick to the photography, noting the Spring Cottage (with hints of Butlers Brewery heritage), Chuckery Primary School and Chamberlin & Hill's Castings foundry - the latter is a well-known Walsall firm having been operating since 1890. St Luke's Church is a community place of worship tucked away on Selbourne Street while the Walsall Arms sits in the shadow of the Walsall Box Company and the Paddock Estate flats. 

- The Black Country Arms -
I'm inching ever closer to pub o'clock but before any pints I need a handful of snaps near Caldmore, principally of St Michael's Church (now known as the Victory Centre, retaining a worship function after C of E congregation numbers dwindled) and the Old Foundry/Bath Street Works (apparently established in 1800). Photos gathered, I've earned myself a Black Country Arms visit to partake of Ernest George, Welbeck Abbey's deep ruby ale. This hostelry always has an extensive selection of fine beers and ciders, not to mention a well-stocked cob cabinet, so it has been a firm WME favourite for many years. This particular visit is also notable for watching Old Firm derby action and admiring some bountiful floral displays, backing up @BritainBeermat's theory that top notch hanging baskets = excellent pub. 

- Something tigerish in the Fountain -
The Black Country Arms can be a serious crawlwrecker so it takes considerable discipline to prise myself away in search of more beer elsewhere. Such a painful task is however made easier by the knowledge that my next intended target is the Fountain, Backyard Brewery's Walsall taphouse on Lower Forster Street. Hadfield's Bridleworks and The Tanyard offer reminders as to Walsall's historic saddlemaking trade before I get to grips with The Hoard, Backyard's 3.9% golden nectar which references a major archaeological discovery of Anglo Saxon artefacts in 2009. Quite what the resident tiger model makes of it all I don't know but I trust he approves of the Beowulf Chocolate Porter, a divine drop that gets a big thumbs up from me - absolutely lovely stuff that means at least one of us is purring. 

- The Pretty Bricks -
Again I could easily have stayed in the Fountain a lot longer but my innate sense of fairness means I simply must give the Pretty Bricks its chance in the spotlight. John Street isn't the most attractive of locations but the pub building does have a pleasing traditional frontage which gives rise to its colloquial name (the actual title being the New Inn). This is another establishment from the Black Country Ales stable and proves very approachable, sitting a becalmed front bar supping Beowulf's 'Wergild'. I'm led to believe that wergild is a heinous  Anglo Saxon crime that involved the killing of a brother or fellow tribe member although I'm very relieved to report that there was nothing remotely criminal about the beer quality!

- The Cleveland Arms -
My sojourn in Walsall ends as I avail myself of the return 529 but I do permit myself a pit stop on the way home. My choice is the Cleveland Arms on the corner of Willenhall Road and Stowheath Lane, narrowly edging out the Merry Boys which is directly opposite. Ordinarily whichever place had cask ale would get the nod but in this case the Cleveland's enviable reputation for sports had me intrigued - they regularly host pool and darts exhibitions plus various football and speedway nights involving personalities from yesteryear. A quickfire Carling allows me to establish that Wolves are actually winning for a change (1-0 against Southampton) and that knowledge buoys me on the final leg home. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment