Tuesday, January 4

A Double Dose from Dudley

Out with the old and in with the new! My explorational exertions either side of New Year have demonstrated a disposition towards all things Dudley with two trips from within the borough's boundaries...

- Pensnett, Fox & Grapes -
This double serving of Dudleyness starts with Thursday 30th December 2021 and a portion of Pensnett. The weather is unremittingly grey but this does not stop me from venturing aboard the number 15 bus, alighting on dreary Tiled House Lane for a glimpse of Grace Church and the Pensnett Social Welfare Club. After a drizzle-afflicted peek at St Mark's Parish Church (edging into the Barrow Hill Nature Reserve), I seek refuge at the Fox & Grapes where the Bathams Best Bitter more than meets my lofty expectations. Absolute Radio and a thick slab of a cheese and onion cob are the perfect accompaniments to such bostin' beer. 

- Kingswinford, The Village -
The rain has nominally stopped as I set forth for Kingswinford, noting both the Lib (Pensnett & Bromley Liberal Club) and new micropub Pens Ale as establishments for future investigation. The High Oak junction has been significantly widened since last I was in the area, resulting in the demolition of the Famous House Chinese takeaway and adjacent buildings. High Street soon blends into Dudley Road near Lenches Bridge and the Pensnett Trading Estate, then I pause at The Village for a slice of historic Kingswinford. Sadly the drizzle flares up again to negate any attempts at pictures of St Mary's, but my second pub of the day isn't too far.

- Banks's Beer in Bradmore -
Indeed, Water Street seems aptly named given the sudden deluge as I scamper for shelter at the Bridge Inn. Black Country Ales took ownership here last summer and have applied their usual refit standards - it's pretty busy too so I perch at a spare shelf when partaking of an excellent Beowulf Milk Stout. From what I remember, the interior used to comprise separate rooms but these have been knocked through with the bar counter repositioned. One pint has to suffice because my homeward bus is due but this in turn leaves space for a Bradmore bonus at the Gunmakers Arms, Banks's Amber being my final ale of 2021.

- Castle Mill Road -
New Year's Eve was a day for meeting up with family so let's pick up my Dudley story again on Saturday 1st January 2022. The Priory Estate rarely crops up in my archives so I set about plugging that hole by gathering pictures along Bradfield Way and Hackett Drive, streets which replaced the likes of Pine Road and Thornhill Road when the northern half of the area was totally rebuilt. Forest Road ensures I can still get a flavour of the older 1930s housing stock, semi-detached drabness that continues into Beech Road and Elm Road too. I had hoped to catch sight of Castle Mill Basin, part of the Dudley Canal's maze of tunnels, but grim fencing prevents any views from on high. Instead I get a coating of mud for my troubles!

- Dorothy Round, Priory Park -
Better photographic prospects are on offer courtesy of Priory Park, guarded at the Woodland Avenue end by two rust-brown deer silhouettes. Local sporting heritage is very much apparent with reference to the gifted footballer Duncan Edwards (forever remembered as one of the Manchester United players who perished in the Munich Air Crash) and the tennis champion Dorothy Round, the latter being depicted racquet-aloft in sculptural form. The Grade II-listed Priory Hall was commissioned by the Earls of Dudley but these days serves as the town's registry office, while the ruins of Dudley Priory are a scheduled monument that can also be found within the park grounds. 

- The first pint of 2022 is served -
I can't resist rooting around the ruins, getting artistic when documenting stonework textures and mock medieval tiles - all very different from when Gervase Paganel founded the Priory back in 1160 I'm sure! Art of the ale variety is what's on offer at the Court House as I open my beer account for 2022 care of Tyne Bank's Northern Porter, pairing said pint with another stellar cob whilst reading the local CAMRA magazine. Trade is relatively steady here for a Saturday lunchtime and some of the other punters are just about recovering from their excesses of the night before.

- Jolly Crispin -
Merely yards away from the Court House is the Malt Shovel, a Tower Street town centre local that's handy for the Dudley College campus. This used to be a Banks's establishment but has been a free house for a few years and I have to say the Tiny Rebel 'Stay Puft' Marshmallow Porter is a thing of beauty. Having watched a bit of the Arsenal vs Manchester City footie and devoured a pack of scratchings, I'm all set for my ride home but fatefully catch the number 1 - that'll be me stopping off in Upper Gornal then! I duly confirm that the Jolly Crispin retains all of its Clarence Street cottageyness as I round off the Bank Holiday with a Titanic Chocolate and Vanilla Stout. Some great ales already and the year is but one day old, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment