Saturday, July 24

Getting Rammed - The Sequel

The Derby Ram Trail made such an entertaining impression when the Hub Marketing Board visited the East Midlands in June that I knew I'd soon have to return for a second bite of the sculpture-spotting cherry. Mr D9 and I had declared on 23 rams out of 30 so there were still seven for me to find on Friday 23rd July 2021...

- Doodle Derby -
As with the trip four weeks ago, the 9:49 Nottingham train from Birmingham New Street is enlisted and I touch down at Derby just after half past ten. 'Railway Communities' forms my welcoming committee before 'Bee Happy' and 'Captain Stone' claim their second appearances amongst the WME photographic archive. 'Doodle Derby' also gets another look whereby I spot details I didn't notice last time, such as a skateboarding burger or a little ghost saying "Boo!" 

- Poseidon -
Two of the rams that eluded me in June are to be found within the shiny malls of the Derbion shopping centre. 'Ramdom Access Memory' lurks outside the entrance to Sainsbury's and references the cognitive power of the human brain complete with Odin's ravens from Viking mythology; 'Poseidon' meanwhile draws upon a Greek god for its inspiration so seashell horns, strands of seaweed and an array of octopuses promote the vital importance of marine conservation. This one can be found on the upper arcade outside the Castle Fine Arts store.

- The Babington Arms -
Mr D9's absence means I won't be doing as many pubs today as we sampled last month but I'm still intent on having the odd pint or two along the way. 'Rambo' with its combination of bullets and bandana therefore points me towards the Babington Arms, a Wetherspoon's outlet occupying a former shopfront opposite the Hunters furniture showroom (a family firm that was founded in 1928). Falstaff's Smiling Assassin fits my remit for drinking local brews, even if at 5.2% it is somewhat potent for an appetiser; the retired brunch brigade are out in force here, likewise the old boy fraternity enjoying the ventilation of wide open front windows.

- Football Word Cloud -
Resuming the sculpture trail and 'Ramtastic' stands guard on The Strand outside the Derby Museum & Art Gallery, zany patterns and all. Bold Lane precedes Willow Row where two rams are sited on the pedestrianised stretch between an ambulance station and Derby College's Joseph Wright complex. 'Herding Together to RAMp up Quality' is predominantly orange with a focus on Van Elle engineering workers, whereas 'Football Word Cloud' presents illustrious names from Derby County's proud history including Roy McFarland, Steve Bloomer, Igor Stimac and Paolo Wanchope. 

- Rameses -
Just two more rams left to find now and my penultimate target is 'Rameses' at the Friar Gate/ Ford Street crossroads. As you might expect from the name, this is an enticingly Egyptian creation prompted by regal thoughts of Rameses the Great, a Pharaoh who reigned from 1279 to 1213 BC. The intricate design certainly brightens up a section of the A601 Inner Ring Road that would otherwise be notable for townhouses and hints of student bars. Friar Gate itself then takes me down past St Werburgh's Church and the Lord Nelson pub as I home in on the final piece of my ram jigsaw...

- Ramble -
So which esteemed sculpture holds the honour of completing my collection? Take a bow 'Ramble' as a predominantly green specimen that pays tribute to the wonders of the countryside, specifically the Peak District National Park. Various folks are thus depicted walking, orienteering, rock climbing or simply savouring a picnic in Derbyshire's great outdoors. Ramble's Museum Square location sees it accompanied by a statue of Michael Thomas Bass, part of the notable family of brewing magnates and an important benefactor in the development of Derby's cultural institutions. 

- The Kensington Tavern -
A second pint of the day will reward my successful attempts at accounting for all of the ovine artworks, hence I seek out the backstreet charms of the Kensington Tavern. Although this is nominally a Marston's boozer, I maintain recent Hub decorum by opting for a Carling instead of any cask offerings. A couple of the regulars see me thumbing through my ram map and enquire how I'm getting on with the challenge - I love it when pub conversations just spark up randomly like this, making a new face feel instantly part of the community.

- Site of London Road Hospital -
A ramming double-header as spectacular as this deserves to go out in style but alas my intended grand finale goes slightly awry. My Normanton Road navigation is nigh on perfect before a warren of claustrophobic sidestreets take me to the doorstep of the Falstaff when oh no - it doesn't open until 4pm, drat! As 'atmospheric' as the terraces are, I don't fancy lingering for another two hours so I put this down as an epic WME research fail, despite the bonus of recording redevelopment works at the former London Road Hospital. The round-fronted Royal Telegraph further soothes my disappointment thanks to decent Pedigree and coverage of the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony, and the train ride home is still a contented one. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I can confirm the Falstaff is an iconic classic!! However, I've not been tot eh Kensington or Babington so pleased to see they are retaining the friendly Derby spirit....Royal Telegraph is one I like although never appears on any ale trails but always friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beermat, I was gutted to miss out on the Falstaff but it's my own fault for not thoroughly checking their current opening hours beforehand. Babington Arms was reminiscent of several West Midlands Wetherspoons (Perry Barr springs to mind most); I really enjoyed my visit to the Kensington so perhaps that needs the Life After Football treatment. Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  2. It's on my radar WME!!! Still quite a few in Derby I've yet to get to but that's the best part of the pub/club blogging lark!

    ReplyDelete