Sunday, November 8

Lockdown Log: FORDHOUSES

I had hoped I wouldn't have to file any new entries in my Lockdown Log collection but a surge in the Covid infection rate means we're back under national restrictions until the start of December. Exploring is still possible provided I stay close to home so I summon up another walk from my Wolverhampton doorstep repertoire...

- Scarlett -
Friday 6th November is the day after the latest lockdown came into force and I start with the A449 Stafford Road out to the northern fringes of Wolverhampton. Fordhouses is an instantly familiar location with features I've known for ages - the Moreton Arms pub, Vine Island and what used to be the Lucas factory (now operating as Collins Aerospace following a succession of name changes) all bring back a variety of memories from the years when I lived in nearby Bushbury. There are some new arrivals though, most notably three carved wolves that occupy the dual carriageway central reservation.

- Maverick -
Commissioned as part of i54 route upgrade works, the sculptures were crafted by the Brewood-based artist Robot Cossey and named by local primary schoolchildren. We therefore have Maverick (in a howling pose), Lucky (in a prowling pose) and Scarlett (almost leaping) all giving commuters something to smile about as the traffic rumbles past. I've been meaning to take pictures of the trio since they were first unveiled in June 2019 so at least that's something I've achieved during the pandemic!

- Oval Drive -
Wandering now into the wider Fordhouses estates, Springfield Lane allows access to several streets inspired by racecourses - Aintree, Lingfield and Fontwell to name but a few. Taunton Avenue is where I find the beigely understated St James's Church while Oval Drive was built on what used to be the home of Fordhouses Cricket Club. Established in 1927, the club was based here until all their sporting and social activities relocated to the former Dowty's ground off Wobaston Road in 2005. 

- Chetton Green Flats -
Wobaston Road is briefly on the agenda for me today as I pass the Brammer Distribution Centre and cross into Winchester Road, bound for Chetton Green. Harrowby Road offers reminders of allotments, cafes and the Yummy Yummy Rice House although community pub the Harrowby Arms (Banks's/ Marston's) is temporarily closed in line with recent regulations. Chetton Green Flats never seem to change much and Patshull Avenue Open Space serves as my gateway towards Pendeford. 

- A Dovecotes Decoration -
After some canalside views in the vicinity of Marsh Lane, I proceed via Pendeford Square which is understandably quieter than normal. There are still a few socially distanced shoppers keeping the Morrisons supermarket ticking over while St Paul's School has windows wide open for extra ventilation. Ryhope Walk then melds into Reapers Walk for a little taste of Dovecotes where the Haymarket shopping precinct (never the prettiest of places) comprises a Premier Convenience Store, the Pendeford Fish Bar and a poultry business. 

- Tettenhall Clock -
Reapers Walk in turn becomes Long Furrow as I continue into Palmers Cross, undertaking a loop of Coniston Road for no good reason other than general curiosity. Stockwell End is being treated to some improved broadband infrastructure that means I need to keep clear of Lothians Road workmen, but I make it to Tettenhall without undue delay. Here my stroll concludes at Upper Green in the shadow of the village clock, which was installed to celebrate the June 1911 coronation of King George V. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment