Sunday, March 22

Tettenhall Wood and Tinacre Hill

There's no getting away from it, these are scary and unprecedented times. The coronavirus outbreak and the necessary restrictions that have arisen from trying to combat this deadly disease have had a huge impact on everyday life and individual freedoms right across the country. Like many of you, I'm trying to digest the implications of announcement upon announcement - schools closed, pubs shut, government economic interventions, home working and no doubt more to come. 

It therefore comes as no surprise for me to state that my outings and blog activities are likely to be somewhat limited for the foreseeable future, but I'll try to keep things ticking over as best I can. To that end, here's a quick summary of a socially distanced Wolverhampton walk I did earlier this morning... 

- Towards Compton Halt -
Sunday 22nd March 2020 and it feels ridiculously trivial to be posting anything explorational at this moment of national crisis. That said, it is nonetheless important to get exercise where possible and a local stroll will do me the power of good provided I stick to government guidelines regarding social contact. Luckily, Smestow Valley Nature Reserve and an old railway walk are right on my doorstep so I can venture out into some glorious sunshine with an opening stretch down to Compton. 

- Springtime in Compton -
Having contemplated Compton Halt (a former stop on what used to be the Wombourne branch line railway), I confirm that both the Oddfellows and the Swan have closed until further notice. COVID-19 can't suspend the natural cycle of the seasons though and there's an uplifting hint of spring in the air, especially when Bramstead Avenue presents a carpet of delightful daffodils. Grove Lane then clings narrowly to the hillside as I clamber my way into Tettenhall Wood, renewing acquaintances with the local Institute (a community facility that dates from 1893, according to the inscription above the front door).

- Tettenhall Wood United Reformed Church -
Christ Church C of E and Tettenhall Wood United Reformed Church are both handsome buildings that have fallen strangely silent for a Sunday morning. There aren't many people about full stop as School Road takes me to Tettenhall Wood bus terminus - it is here that the 1 completes its journey from Dudley although the number 10 to Perton also calls. The Bird in Hand pub used to watch over Metrobuses and Tridents during its M&B days but has since been converted into an interior design showroom with a coffee shop to the side. 

- Mill Lane Windmill -
Aiming next for Wightwick, I make use of Mill Lane and am pleased to catch a glimpse of the former windmill which gives the street its name. A lack of pavement isn't an issue with so little traffic to bother me, and there are photos to be had along Perton Road courtesy of the Fieldhouse pub and Boundary Farm. Wightwick is widely recognised as being one of Wolverhampton's most desirable districts and it's easy to see why given the array of huge houses with what Hyacinth Bucket would call 'room for a pony'.

- Wightwick Hall School -
Emerging onto Tinacre Hill, I pass the entrance to Wightwick Hall School which is housed in a repurposed stately home. A gentle climb up Windmill Lane into Castlecroft awaits, and I round off my walk with some Castlecroft Road snaps of local shops and a telephone exchange. Hopefully I'll still get chance to unleash the WME camera occasionally over the next few months but this very much depends on how the coronavirus pandemic progresses and what further lockdown arrangements might be required. Above all, it's absolutely vital to be considerate, heed expert advice and ultimately save lives, and if that means missing out on the things we enjoy for a bit then so be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment