Monday, June 25

Down Staffordshire Way Once More...

Back in 2012 I did a couple of walks utilising the Staffordshire Way, a long distance footpath which stretches across the county from top (Mow Cop) to bottom (Kinver Edge). Places including Lapley, Whiston - near Penkridge - and Highgate Common had been discovered as a result, and now some six years on I can belatedly add Trescott and Seisdon into the mix...

- Mops Farm Bridge -
Commencing at Castlecroft, my camera sees some early action thanks to the Firs pub and two sporting driveways (Wolverhampton Rugby Club, AFC Wulfrunians and Old Wulfrunians FC are all based off Castlecroft Road, not forgetting the Wightwick & Finchfield Cricket Club). The junction with Radford Lane is my cue to leave suburban Wolverhampton behind as I follow a quiet bridleway which flanks the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. It's a lovely morning, bright but cool and I have a couple of dog walkers for company as I emerge at Mops Farm Bridge by Pool Hall cottages.

- Trescott Ford -
The bridleway continues beyond Mops Farm to lead me towards Trescott, a small hamlet that straddles the A454 Bridgnorth Road. A notable feature here is Trescott Ford where the Smestow Brook crosses Furnace Grange Road; many an unsuspecting motorist has been caught out over the years not anticipating the water to be quite as deep. Thankfully there aren't any stranded vehicles on this occasion although a delivery lorry threatens to splash me just before I attempt some pictures.

- A Reassuring Sign -
Having avoided that potential soaking, I seek out a Staffordshire Way marker just where the pavement ends at the edge of the village. The route from Trescott heads either north to Great Moor and Nurton or south towards Seisdon; I'm focusing on the latter option today and the trail instructs me to pass around the back of a cottage garden and then through a farmyard. I go cross country across an arable field, marching through the crops to a double set of stiles which in turn brings me to a horse paddock and some stables. 

- Seisdon Garage -
The approach into Seisdon comprises an enclosed rough track where I contend with horse manure, bug swarms and waist-high nettles. The boundary walls of Seisdon House then herald my arrival onto Post Office Road where I leave the main trail to do a circuit of the village. It's been nearly eight years since I last visited the area and the Seven Stars has closed in that time (converted to apartments) so the remaining key features are a convenience store (no longer a post office?) and the local garage. 

- The Fox at Shipley -
Seisdon's nearest pubs are now the Bell at Trysull or the Fox at Shipley; I've been to the Bell recently so the Fox is due for a WME visit. It's straightforward enough to get there, Fox Road doing the honours although I have to be careful looking out for oncoming traffic - the Staffordshire Way crosses through here on route to Highgate Common so I know where to connect with it again in future. As for the pub, it's a longstanding landmark overlooking an A454 crossroads. The Marston's lunchtime deals seem popular judging by the number of retired folks queuing up at opening time. I however content myself with a pint of Ossett's Big Red Bitter and a sit down in the sunkissed beer garden.

- Rudge Road -
I might not be on the Staffordshire Way anymore but there's still plenty of walking to be done hence Rudge Road is tasked with taking me to Pattingham. It's turning into a stunning afternoon, barely a cloud in the sky and just the faint whisper of a soothing breeze as I proceed in leisurely fashion feeling highly contented with life. The scenery consists of fields, hedgerows and a couple of farmsteads plus the occasional grander residence; I also spot a curious circular enclosure at one forked junction and speculate it might be a former pinfold. 

- St Chad's Church -
I think I may have crossed into Shropshire for a short while though I'm definitely back in South Staffordshire when Rudge Road feeds into the lower end of Pattingham High Street. A quick bite to eat precedes further refreshment in the Pigot Arms (Hobson's Twisted Spite being the ale in question while I watch some of the Brazil v Costa Rica World Cup clash), then I can catch my homeward 10A bus just as the bells of St Chad's ring out in celebration of a summer wedding. Maybe I might not leave it six years until I next tackle a section of the Staffordshire Way!

1 comment:

  1. WHat a great site...pubs and cracking pictures of the West Midlands!

    ReplyDelete