Saturday, December 2

A Tettenhall Taster

Friday 1st December 2017 and a broken mobile phone puts paid to any hopes of a full day out as I have to wait in for the replacement to be delivered. Thankfully said item arrives just after midday so I can salvage a few hours of photography with Tettenhall being my target...


- Smestow Valley Nature Reserve -
I begin my afternoon stroll then with a look at the Smestow Valley Nature Reserve, a corridor of open space which effectively follows the Smestow Brook between Aldersley and Wightwick. Woodland and meadows offer a range of habitats where nature lovers can spot various creatures including breeding birds, newts and Daubenton's bats.


- Compton Halt -
Aside from the wildlife, I enjoy reacquainting myself with the former Wolverhampton to Stourbridge (via Wombourne) railway line which has been retained as a leisure walkway. Although I've investigated the route several times over the years, it's still nice to be back at Compton Halt rummaging around the platform remains.


- Meccano Bridge -
One of my favourite features on the old railway is the steel truss bridge which spans the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal between Compton and Newbridge. The girder construction has led to its colloquial name as the 'Meccano Bridge' in reference to the well-known toy modelling kit created by Frank Hornby.


- Tettenhall Goods Depot -
Tettenhall Station is another location I'm very fond of, bringing back memories of when Wolverhampton Council's mobile library van was based in the goods shed. These days the main station building houses the Cupcake Lane cafe, the weighbridge hut is a gift shop and the goods depot contains a transport museum.


- St Michael's & All Angels -
From Meadow View a skip across Lower Green brings me to a longstanding Tettenhall landmark whereby St Michael & All Angels parish church proudly flies the flag of St George whilst swathed in cool sunshine. The church tower is said to date from the 14th century and has a peal of eight bells. The path from the far end of the churchyard emerges onto Church Hill Road, an intriguingly secluded corner of Wolverhampton, before Stockwell Road leads me to Tettenhall Pool.


- Tettenhall Christmas Tree -
In years past I vividly recall admiring the yuletide decorations at Upper Green, all twinkling lights and festive banners with a 'Seasons Greetings: Tettenhall' message taking centre stage. Things seem rather more limited in advance of Christmas 2017, with the village tree quite a small affair - I still expect it all looks very enchanting come the evening though!


- Royal Oak, Tettenhall Wood -
Nursery Walk allotments and the entrances to both Tettenhall College and the Nuffield Hospital are encountered as I make my way towards Tettenhall Wood (Wood Road doing the navigation honours). A quick glance at the Institute and Blooms' Florist (complete with cutely crafted reindeers outside - see below) precedes a well-earned pint in the Royal Oak. A perch in the public bar is quite a treat, perusing several brass plates commemorating sadly missed regulars while I sup my Banks's Mild and munch a crusty ham cob. After that I make my way home to do battle with my new phone, closing my camera action for the day with a cheeky snap of those reindeer characters. Cheers!


- Not long now until Christmas! -

No comments:

Post a Comment