Wednesday, January 6

A Roaming Resolution

The arrival of a new year is always a time to reflect on previous achievements (and bad habits) then set yourself some goals for the weeks and months ahead. For 2016, my resolution is a ‘more of the same’ approach, trying to squeeze in as much exceptional exploration as I can... 

A Monday Mission seems like an ideal launchpad by which to put my intentions into practice, so I set my sights on North Walsall with a specific focus on the former South Staffordshire railway line around Pelsall. The plan was simple – visit a few old haunts, get the photos flowing and sprinkle in some previously unseen bits and pieces, so I eagerly board a misted-up 89 bus for my initial ride towards Bloxwich.


- Signal Feature at Bloxwich North -

The Mossley estate is first on my agenda, Cresswell Crescent being my cue to alight so I can get to grips with the local shops and St Thomas's Church. Two former pubs are also on my radar - I’d already heard that the Leathern Bottle had been flattened, so rather than an M&B dive there is now only a pile of rubble to record on the corner with Margam Terrace. The Eagle is still standing but very much closed as some 301s do the rounds at the adjacent bus terminus, while Bloxwich North station is always a favourite for a few quick railway photos (even if on this occasion there weren't any trains due).


- Bulls Head detail -

Bloxwich itself beckons with the prospect of pictures of the Promenade Gardens with their Victorian fountain (dating from 1891), not to mention another smattering of buses and pubs. The Bulls Head looks more depressing than ever, the exposed roof timbers indicating a state of advanced dereliction. Victoria Avenue connects me to Field Lane where I pause to remember the Stag (a lost landmark demolished ten or so years ago) before catching a fleeting glimpse of Bloxwich Cemetery with its lodge and chapel.



- Knave no more -

The next stretch of my walk involves a zigzag either side of the A4124 Lichfield Road. I encounter a Co-op store (housed in the former Knave of Hearts) on route to Selmans Hill, then gently stroll down towards Stoney Lane on the fringes of the Lower Farm estate. Blocks of flats accompany a Costcutter store as yet another old pub site tweaks my memory (this being the Bridgewater, replaced by housing on the side of the canal). Little Bloxwich and Goscote follow in close succession as I drop in on Mallory Crescent where a children's play area bears the hallmarks of 'New Deal' funding.


- Goscote Works Bridge -

Goscote these days is somewhat different from the place I first encountered back in 2005. Notorious streets have been bulldozed, factories have disappeared and new housing has sprung up as part of wholesale regeneration. Both the Dolphin and the Barley Mow are no more but the Wyrley & Essington Canal provides some continuity, snaking its way between Goscote Works and Goscote Hall bridges to link me to Slacky Lane.


- Pelsall Villa FC -

The open spaces of Goscote Valley precede my arrival into Pelsall, or Heath End to be more precise. On Allens Lane the Red Cow has been turned into a private residence, and things aren't looking that much better for the Old Bush on Walsall Road either (it's currently boarded up and looking sorry for itself). The pub gives its name to the Bush Ground, home of Pelsall Villa Football Club as I savour some sporting shots, aided and abetted by the village cricket club being next door.

It is now time for me to concentrate on the disused South Staffordshire Line, a rail link that once connected Lichfield with Dudley and Stourbridge. The Railway pub and Station Road are clear hints as to Pelsall's previous transport pedigree as I locate the old track bed which is now in use as a long distance footpath. I join the trail at the site of Pelsall Station albeit there is little trace of the platforms, station buildings or footbridge that once graced the spot. Heading north I squelch my way to Ryders Hayes where a rusty pole is the only lingering indication of the former level crossing.



- Pelsall Memorial Clock -

I've had enough mud for the time being so I make my way into the heart of Pelsall where the Village Centre building (which opened in 2013) is home to a doctors surgery and the local library. Lunch on the Common is a relaxing pleasure (even with some pesky gulls hungrily circling above) and the memorial clock looks very striking indeed all clad in remembrance poppies.


- Heath End Railway Bridge -

Resuming my railway ramble, I now bear south towards Rushall with the line crossing Vicarage Road and then passing beneath Heath End Bridge. On a remarkably mild January afternoon I must admit I relish the stroll, working off a few Christmas calories and enjoying more Goscote Valley greenery complete with galloping ponies. It doesn't take long at all to reach the environs of Rushall as visited on my Beacon Way Mission last August; having already covered the stretch towards Walsall back then, today I decide to exit the line and continue with some local exploring.


- Site of Coalpool Library -

Wrenching myself away from the railway, I creep into Coalpool via Harden Road, noting where the Harden Hall nursing home has occupied the grounds of another ex-watering hole. On Coalpool Lane I had hoped to reacquaint myself with the local branch library only to discover it has been demolished, leaving me with shots of some bollards and a solitary silver birch by way of compensation. The local shopping parade includes a convenience store, a post office and a pharmacy with the tower of St Thomas of Canterbury Church completing the scene. Arriva's number 19 bus happens by so I hop aboard for a lift into Walsall (via Dartmouth Avenue and Beddows Road), thus bringing my opening mission of the year to a close. For once my New Year's resolution has remained intact beyond the first few days of January, so wish me luck as I aim to maintain the same level of dedication!

No comments:

Post a Comment