Friday, January 23

A Sutton Park Sequel

Last October's "Sutton Park Story" had given me a tantalising tour of the western half of the park but left the eastern half untouched pending further investigation. Monday 19th January thus became the day when I would finally account for that elusive area...

- Wylde Green Station -
A chilly but bright morning sees me making my way to Wylde Green where the railway station is located amidst polite residential surroundings. Early photo targets include the Wylde Green pub (a Hungry Horse establishment on the main Birmingham Road) and the local primary school off Green Lanes.

- Highbury Theatre -
Crossing the railway into Boldmere, the footbridge over the tracks is decorated with a mural painted by school pupils and features a family of friendly-looking green aliens. A surprise awaits me among the terraces of Sheffield Road, for half way down the street is the Highbury Theatre Centre, a community venue that hosts various performing arts events. At the end of the street, the Boldmere Oak is now a Joule's pub renamed the Boldmere Tap albeit with reference to an earlier guise as the Old Cork & Bottle.

- Boldmere St Michaels FC -
I was keen to uncover a little more of Boldmere with St Michael's Parish Church being a prime landmark. Further along Church Road, the local non-league football team carries the name of the church and hosts home games at the Trevor Brown Memorial Ground. The Birmingham Angling Centre catches my eye with its large fish adverts before I make my way back to Boldmere Gate to resume my Sutton Park study.

- Royal Sutton Coldfield Athletics Club -
Bearing right along park paths, the next major feature I encounter is Wyndley Gate, situated by Wyndley Pool with a plank footbridge crossing a little brook. Wyndley Leisure Centre is close at hand, comprising swimming pool, gymnasium and sports courts while the Royal Sutton Coldfield Athletics Club has a running track and a shed-like office building.

- Town Gate -
Clifton Road leads me on towards Town Gate, arguably Sutton Park's feature entrance as guarded by two cabins. The 604 bus stops outside as I follow the driveway down past the cafe and round to a carved totem pole with an acorn and a deer's head being part of the design. Park House is next to get my attention, nowadays being home to a Toby Carvery pub/restaurant as my stroll continues.

- Hartopp Gate -
Before long I cross the freight railway line to reach Hartopp Gate, a somewhat unheralded entrance that faces out towards the private roads of the rather exclusive Four Oaks estates. A few cars trundle over the cattle grid as I line up my photos, the park being partially accessible to motor traffic although it is no longer possible to drive through from one side to the other.

- Blackroot Pool -
Heading west from Hartopp Gate, I soon arrive at Blackroot Pool for another splash of waterside scenery. The pool has industrial origins having been constructed to power a watermill, although it is the modern day saw mill that I can hear close by, making timber products from the park's natural resources.

- Railway Remnants -
Bracebridge Pool would have been my next target but seeing that freight line earlier had prompted me to focus on railway remains instead. The Sutton Park Line had passenger services until 1965 with stations situated at Streetly, Sutton Park itself and Sutton Town. I initially hope that Midland Road might yield glimpses of the Sutton Park station site but I can't see anything for certain - I do have more luck on Midland Drive (the other side of Sutton Coldfield High Street) where the former booking hall of Sutton Town station is very much intact and up for sale as office premises. This seems a suitable note on which to conclude another memorable Monday mission, and I catch my 77 bus back towards Walsall feeling very satisfied with my day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment