Tuesday, November 25

Very Perry!

24th November 2014 and for my latest Monday menu we have a princely platter of Perry photography, accompanied by side dishes from Kingstanding and Great Barr. Here's what I cooked up yesterday...

- 33 at Pheasey Terminus -
The 934 is my choice of starter on this occasion, boarding on Sutton Road by Queen Mary's Grammar School for a ride that featured Daffodil Road, Fallowfield Road and Barr Beacon. I alight on Collingwood Drive for the Pheasey estate, reacquainting myself with previous photo targets such as the Collingwood Centre and the local branch library (a facility which could be threatened with closure due to Council cuts currently subject to public consultation). The 33 is on hand for my now-customary terminus picture directly outside the centre.

- Deers Leap Sign -
Just like a chef rummaging around in the back of the larder, I wanted to get deeper into Pheasey this time and see what other photographic ingredients I might be able to lay my hands on. Raeburn Road offers glimpses of Pheasey Park Farm Primary School then Wimperis Way has steep undulations to test out the stamina levels of passing cyclists. Doe Bank Lane has field views looking across towards Hundred Acre, while the Deers Leap pub still looks much as it did when I first came here back in May 2006.

- Hurlingham Road -
With a quick dash of Deers Leap bus terminus (now served by the 997 route) and a pinch of Buffet Island, I nibble my way into Kingstanding via Lambeth Road and Bandywood Road. Cedar Church and Bandywood Dry Cleaners are features to catch my eye initially, followed closely by Kingsland Primary School ("Get out of bed, rise and shine, Kingsland starts at five to nine" - or so their banner says) then the Sportsmans Rest pub on Cooksey Lane. Kingstanding Circle offers up bitesize chunks of Blunts Shoes and Mecca Bingo while Hurlingham Road is a pretty scene thanks to a golden autumnal avenue.

- Conker Island -
Anticipation builds for the main course now and 'Dish of the Day' is a place I can't remember properly visiting before - Warren Farm. The estate has an oval-shaped layout based around Warren Farm Road, Aylesbury Crescent and Danesbury Crescent. At the heart of it all is the Conker Island play area, flanked by local shops, a health centre, St John's Church and the Kingstanding Ex-Servicemen's Club.

- Kingstanding Leisure Centre -
Radiating out via Aylesbury Crescent and Dulwich Road, I pick off a few garnishes including Warren Farm Primary School and the Kingstanding Leisure Centre, both nice finds those. Brackenbury Road crosses College Road into Dovedale Road as I prepare for my Perry pudding. I'm intrigued to discover a pocket of new houses overlooked by Enderby Park, which itself seems like a freshly-created patch of open space. Out on the horizon I can see the stately features of Oscott College perched on a ridge.

- The Ring, Perry Common -
The annular characteristics of Warren Farm are echoed a little in Perry Common whereby Witton Lodge Road offers The Ring as its circle contribution. Again we find a park and play area surrounded by shops and local facilities, in this case St Martin's Church on one side and Perry Common Community Hall on the other. Recent remembrance activities have resulted in various trees being 'yarnbombed' with examples of knitted poppies, and very effective they look too!

- St John's, Perry Barr -
Crossways Court and Perry Common Library precede some College Road cuisine, pausing to note the Jewish Cemetery (junction with Warren Road) and the Boars Head pub-turned-buffet on the fork with Aldridge Road. Church Road reveals some hitherto unexplored aspects of Perry Barr so I'm delighted to add St John's Church, Aston Manor Cricket Club and the Church Tavern to my photographic plate. I particularly like the sense of an old village centre beyond the busy A34 dual carriageway.

- GMAC, Perry Park -
The Perry theme continues with Perry Park, home to the Alexander Stadium which hosts international athletics meetings and is the base for Birchfield Harriers. I'd never been here before but would definitely consider watching a meeting here in future - in the meantime it joins the esteemed ranks of sporting arenas I've photographed over the years. Neighbouring facilities include the High Performance Centre and GMAC, a dedicated gymnastics and martial arts complex.

- The Beeches -
Always being fond of desserts, I can't resist tucking into a piece of Perry Beeches for good measure. Treats here include the Beeches pub (a Hungry Horse chain affair on Thornbridge Avenue), Beeches Pool and Fitness Suite on Turnberry Road and the New Bell pub on Booth's Farm Road, which all combine to keep my camera well nourished.

- Great Barr War Memorial Hall -
By this stage I'm almost full to bursting point but there's time yet before the culinary curtain comes down. Great Barr is what you might term my coffee call, topping off the trip with Jayshaw Avenue, Red House Park, Great Barr Memorial Hall and the Beacon Harvester. With that the banquet is over and my shift at proper work awaits, but future feasts should hopefully feature in the not-too-distant future...

No comments:

Post a Comment