Sunday, January 12

East Park Exploration - Part Two

Another Thursday, another lunchtime and another chance to weave a path from the East Park estate towards Bilston, collecting some choice photographs along the way...


- Selbourne Crescent -
Beginning at East Park Library, this time around I take a closer look at some of the new-build bungalows that have replaced the Tarran examples for which the estate was well noted. Taking a look along Selbourne Crescent, I can see how the new homes have been carefully designed to maintain the area's residential character. Elsewhere, the Mayfield Medical Centre is now firmly in place as part of the local facilities with a landscaped open space to the rear of the main building.

- The Victoria -
Crossing the Willenhall Road, I proceed along Brooklands Parade for a mooch around Deansfield. East Park Methodist Church is situated on the corner with Jonesfield Crescent and is quickly followed by The Brooklands Health Centre and a row of local shops containing Brooklands Pharmacy, Scruffs Pet & Garden supplies and Dave's Fish Bar. I emerge onto Deans Road for views of the Victoria public house.

- The Neachells -
Passing Deansfield School, I rejoin Willenhall Road with a quick look at the Merry Boys and the Cleveland Arms, the two pubs facing each other from opposite sides of the Deans Road/Stow Heath Lane junction. I can then home in on my prime photo target for the day, the Neachells pub further out towards Portobello.

- Another view of the Neachells -
The Neachells closed down a few months ago and the future of the site is unclear amid talk of possible supermarket interest. In the meantime the building looks very sad with metal shutters on the windows and the car park getting overgrown and littered. Given the fact that I've spent over a decade photographing Wolverhampton in quite some detail, the pub was actually a black hole in my archive and I rather wish I'd captured it earlier in happier circumstances.

- Site of Portobello Shops -
Sticking with the Willenhall Road a little longer, there are glimpses to be had of Middleton's Food Products factory and the railway crossing at Noose Lane. I also pass the former Bird in Hand pub (now a religious temple) in arriving at Portobello Island, an important junction on one of the main approaches into Wolverhampton. For many years the scene here was blighted by an ugly block of shops that became notorious as an embarrassing eyesore - the shops have thankfully been demolished but the area remains in urgent need of creative redevelopment.

- The Royal Oak -
One Portobello landmark that is still with us is the Royal Oak pub, perched on the corner of New Street, Vaughan Road and Dilloways Lane. It's quite a handsome building and perhaps needs a bit of Hub Marketing investigation at some point in the future.

- Scrap Pony -
With Dilloways Lane and Beccles Drive I wriggle my way towards Bilston, casting a glance at the Big Pan chinese buffet (formerly the George & Crown public house) then taking Darlaston Lane towards St Thomas More School. A path opposite the school gates enables me to join the sculpture trail that flanks the Black Country Route dual carriageway, with examples of the art installations being a concrete living room with mock television, a homage to the crested newt and some scrap iron ponies.

- Football Club Gates -
Exiting onto Lunt Road, I continue into Queen Street where I renew my acquaintance with the football ground home of Bilston Town. I well remember watching a few non-league games here when I was younger, joining my Dad and other supporters like Graham Morgan in cheering on the Steelmen with their tangerine kit. I think they were playing in the Beazer Homes League at the time.

- Samson & Lion -
I've now made it safely into Bilston and there's just one final target to account for before my lunchtime foray is complete. Newbolt Road isn't perhaps the most obvious location for a pub but it is where the Samson & Lion is situated, albeit the metal shutters are a telltale sign of another closure - I doubt very much that this one will trade again. With that the day's final photographs are pocketed, another highly rewarding local walk is over and it's back to work for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment