Sunday, October 24

Stourbridge Signs Off...

Saturday 23rd October was the last day of operations for Stourbridge Bus Station before it closed for redevelopment, meaning a scene of many happy photographic memories will pass into history. I couldn't resist visiting one of my favourite haunts one last time...

It's fair to say that Stourbridge Bus Station has been an exploration constant, beginning with the visits with Stuart riding the 248 and battling the subway, through solo adventures escaping from University on a Friday afternoon, and latterly meetings with Rog and Woody and all that this has entailed. The station always seemed to be an old-fashioned and outdated facility, with simple rows of basic shelters, but I liked it because there was plenty of scope for taking photos with a sense of freedom that the newer bus interchanges clamp down on. Add in bacon sandwiches at the Bus Stop Cafe, timetable gathering at the little information office and watching the comings and goings over a pint at the Rock Station, and for me personally it is virtually the end of an era.

I was therefore determined to do the place justice with a final photography session, anticipation building as I rode across on the 256. I spent an hour or so hovering around waiting to see what might present itself, and plenty did. A 276 shot provided a nice starter accompanied quickly by the X96, then I called in at the info office for a quick chat with Andy who was helping out as the room was gradually being emptied of it's stock. Back outside and the Diamond 267 keeps me occupied, followed by offerings from Midland on the 298 and Hansons on the 228. I made sure to get a few shots of the stops themselves, including Stand F where I've waited for many a 256 ride home. With the time approaching 10am, the 657 provides a further Hansons shot and I have the added bonus of two routes I've never photographed before - the 142 in the form of a 'Stourbridge Shuttle' liveried Diamond service, and the 252 Hansons run to Kidderminster. Even at this late stage, the bus station was still delivering the goods!

My hour up, and it's onwards with some local exploration. I decide to revisit the Stourbridge Town Arm branch of the Stourbridge Canal for a relaxing autumnal stroll up to Wordsley Junction, then have my first encounter with Henderson Bridge as I work my way partly up the locks to Glasshouse Bridge, Dadford's Shed and the Dock cottage - the Black Country at it's best in my opinion. Leaving the canal I do a loop of Wordsley and Ashwood Park, with my photo targets including the Bird in Hand (hidden away on the corner of John Street), the Ashwood pub (no sign of any bald spots today!) and the Glasscutters Arms (backstreet boozer on Barnett Street). Barnett Lane and Cot Lane lead me towards Kingswinford as I add the Mount Pleasant and the Park Tavern to my haul, then I catch the 256 back from the Cross to complete what had been a most constructive morning.

A final word for Stourbridge Bus Station then. In some ways I'd have liked to have been there at the very end, as darkness falls and the last few buses trundle away late into the evening, but I was delighted with my early efforts and hope these will provide the fitting finale I was after. The redevelopment is aiming to create a "world-class, £7 million public transport interchange" which does sound exciting, whilst in the meantime passengers are being directed to the temporary stops on Parkfield Road and Birmingham Street. I will always have a soft spot for the old bus station but I also think that Stourbridge as a town does deserve a modern, welcoming facility, so I look forward to returning over the coming months to see it all taking shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment