Saturday, June 12

A Stourbridge Sweep

Friday 11th June: Returning to the West Midlands with a circular tour around Stourbridge, making some great new discoveries and catching up with some of my favourite Rog and Woody haunts...

The 256 provides my traditional starting point, arriving at Stourbridge Bus Station for my usual flurry of photos. The station is due to be redeveloped soon and I doubt the new facility will serve me as well photograph-wise as the current one has over the years. It seems the Bus Stop Cafe has shut down in preparation and I also lament the closure of the Rock Station, a place where I've enjoyed several end of outing drinks whilst Blade was on the prowl - you can read Woody's tribute here.

Into the town centre and the snaps continue with views of the Duke William (now a real ale pub) and the Mitre. I call in at Stourbridge Library to see whats in stock, then add further shots of the Bell and the Red Lion. The outing was already becoming a photographic pubcrawl and this theme was confirmed with a walk up the Enville Street run to survey the fine selection of inns and taverns into Wollaston. I noted that the Somerset House appears to be up for sale and that the old Waterloo is gradually becoming a Bangladeshi restaurant.

I was familiar with much of the run but the top two pubs had hitherto remained something of a mystery. The Plough is quite a grand terracotta type building that reminds me of some impressive backstreet Birmingham examples, whilst the Foresters is a charming cottagey place with a leafy backdrop nestled right on the Staffordshire border. With those two added to my archive, I wander around High Park estate past the Crematorium and down South Road into Norton.

- Norton Covert -

Yes Norton, a nice estate based around The Broadway and Shenstone Avenue. Picture targets here start with the Gigmill followed by the New Inn on Cherry Street, and I also find the local community centre off Heath Farm Road. The local shops are familiar from trips gone by, as is the Broadway pub (part of which now seems to be a cafe). After a spot of lunch I head out by Norton Covert, a secluded woodland reserve, and cross the Staffs border to investigate the Crown at Iverley (seemed to have gastropub aspirations). An about turn brings me to the Greyhound, and I stick with the main road to pass Mary Stevens Park, the Plough & Harrow and the Waggon & Horses.

Back at the bus station, I sneak a shot of the 297 then set about the route on foot. Junction Road leads me past the Redhill School to Hungary Hill for views of the local post office and the Station Inn (the pub name referring to the old site of Stourbridge Junction railway station). I tackle the New Farm estate then emerge by the Hadcroft so I can explore the back end of Lye. Top of my hitlist here was the Shovel, a real ale favourite with a cracking old-fashioned frontage, I'm determined to try a pint here one day. The Bulls Head is virtually next door but looks depressing in comparison, whilst my efforts to hike it here are further rewarded with shots of two backstreet pubs I'd never heard of before - the Fox on Green Lane and the Hollybush on Cemetery Road. All in all, I think Lye is definitely a prospect for a proper pubcrawl in future, especially with the option of a call at the Windsor Castle too.

- The Hadcroft -

Its getting well into the afternoon now as my ramble draws to a close. I make my way over to the Bird in Hand (now converted into a fast food takeaway) and begin the climb up Bagleys Road, weary legs beginning to take their toll. I perk myself up with views of the Raven as World Cup preparations are very much in evidence on Mousehall Farm Road. The final slog sees me head Delphwards as the Birch Tree and the Roebuck slot in neatly along Amblecote Road. The 297 comes to my rescue for a gentle ride back to Stourbridge - this could be one of several routes set to change soon as part of a further shakeup of the Dudley bus network - and the 256 is waiting on hand to complete my ride home.

A busy day with pubs very much to the fore, an array of England flags, posters and displays of national pride being a constant theme of the day. It was great to add to my memories of Wollaston and Norton, filling in a few gaps in my knowledge and even making some new discoveries over in Lye. All that remains is for me to wish England a successful World Cup campaign - lets hope for an epic adventure we can all celebrate...

No comments:

Post a Comment