Monday, March 1

Oswestry and Ellesmere

Shropshire was beckoning as on Saturday 27th February I set out on a mission to explore a couple of intriguing rural market towns whilst sampling some classic bus rides in the process...

I begin at Wolverhampton Station where I find that the Shrewsbury train is terminating at Wellington due to engineering works, with the connection being completed by a rail replacement service. Whilst this is an inconvenience, it does mean I can attempt a few Telford area photos whilst waiting for the substitute bus to turn up. Despite the drizzle, I add views of the Plough, the Charlton Arms and the Market Square to my Wellington collection, before reconvening at the station car park at half past nine.

The rail replacement journey itself was quite interesting, leaving Wellington along Wrekin Road with a glimpse of the Wickets pub before joining the monotonous A5 slog. We enter Shrewsbury passing the Coracle pub and Heathgates roundabout, and there's even a sighting of Arriva's Shrewsbury bus garage - now there's a location worth a closer look. Park up on the railway station forecourt where a crowd have gathered for the return journey - I pounce for a few quick photos then track down the Shrewsbury Hotel near Welsh Bridge for a couple of Wetherspoon's shots too.

The main trip proper gets underway as I catch the 10:15 number 70 bus to Oswestry. This was a cracking ride covering some nice little villages along the way. Calcott Lane is a narrow country road where we force the return bus to reverse back to a suitable passing place, then there's Montford Bridge with the riverside Wingfield Arms. Nesscliffe offers the Old Three Pigeons, West Felton and Queens Head flash by, and Whittington looked pretty with a hint of a castle tower, the Penrhos Arms and a level crossing. The final entry into Oswestry takes in the Unicorn estate then offers a brief glimpse of another Arriva depot - plenty of food for thought for a future visit perhaps?

I was rather excited about the prospect of visiting Oswestry and the town lived up to my expectations despite some persistent drizzle. The bus station is a good photographic location, especially with some Tanat Valley buses on layover, whilst the old railway station looms large over Oswald Road and demanded my attention. The town itself has plenty of charm - I particularly liked the market square with its array of old coaching inns (the Red Lion, the Eagles and the George), all overlooked by the impressive guildhall. The Cross features a lovely old timber-framed shop, then I proceed towards St Oswald's Church and discover more traditional pubs such as the Fox or the Oak. A quick look in the Visitor Centre, then its round to the library as the rain gets harder. The castle mound would also merit closer inspection, but I passed on the opportunity in favour of returning to the bus station and trying to stay dry.

Leaving Oswestry behind, its off to Ellesmere courtesy of the number 53. This again was an enjoyable ride, taking in the Park Hall estate, Gobowen, St Martin's and Criftins. Amongst the landmarks I spotted this time were the Cross Foxes by Gobowen Station, the Cross Keys and Ifton Miner's Welfare Centre at St Martin's and the Parish Pump and an old-fashioned post office at Dudleston Heath.

Ellesmere then, alighting by the post office and pitching immediately into more pub photos thanks to the Black Lion Hotel and the Market Tavern. Ellesmere is only a small market town but has plenty of character crammed into its narrow streets. Cross Street offers some independent local shops, much more interesting than your standard High Street, and the drinking landmarks continue with the Ellesmere Hotel and the White Hart.

One attraction I was particularly keen to seek out was the Llangollen Canal, beginning with Ellesmere Wharf where the basin has been neatly landscaped and a new Tesco superstore constructed. Joining the towpath, I walk the short distance along the Ellesmere Town Arm to meet the main canal at a pleasant little junction. Bridge 59 is a small footbridge spanning the end of the arm, whilst Bridge 58 is a classic Shropshire Union style stone feature linking to Birch Road. It's possible to do a circular walk to include the Mere and beyond, but I head back into town for a browse in the library and a handful of photos at Cross Street bus stop where I'm delighted to find the 53 and 501 both posing obligingly.

The latter route is my next target, leaving Arriva behind momentarily to sample a different operator, Bryn Melyn of Llangollen. The ride back into Shrewsbury is truly fascinating and wonderfully relaxing, with a little hint of Saturday sport as the Beacon Radio GoalZone show crackles away on the airwaves. The Red Lion catches my eye as we leave Ellesmere, then the Mere itself offers some lovely views and demands that I return to explore the scenery in greater detail. Other highlights include Cockshutt, Myddle (with its own Red Lion pub) and Albrighton, then its the Battlefield Enterprise Park and Coton Hill on the final approach to Shrewsbury - cracking stuff!!

Back in Shrewsbury just before 3pm, and I don't feel ready to head home just yet. Coton Hill had roused my curiosity on the 501 so I ventured back there for pictures of the Woodman pub and a nosey peek down Pig Trough, a fascinating riverside passage that surely has a beguiling history all of its own. This proved a fitting final act of exploration, and I decide to skip the rail replacement option in favour of the X5/892 combination, effectively providing one direct bus from Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton via Telford.

Home for 5.30pm and I covered some fair mileage all told, with both Oswestry and Ellesmere making some great first impressions. Now I've got my bearings, I look forward to building on this outing in future with further adventures in the area. Shropshire is perhaps my favourite county, the pace of life seems more relaxed and I really enjoy the sense of escape I get when exploring here - a nice antidote to my more usual West Midlands wanderings, allowing me to recharge a little in readiness for getting back on the homeward beat in March...

No comments:

Post a Comment