Sunday, February 22

Metro to Myvod

The loss and closure of local pubs has become a regular lament of mine here at WME Blogspot, and has made me even more determined to try and record photographically the pubs we've still got left. Last Friday's outing was a good start in this regard, as I surveyed some of the locals in and around Wednesbury and Darlaston. Here's what I got up to...
  • Carters Green: the day kicked off with a Metro ride to Dudley Street Guns Village, a location which turned out not to be as scary as the name suggested. After a couple of tram photos, I walked up into Carters Green to investigate the clock tower, the post office and pubs such as the Marksman and the Wheatsheaf.
  • Black Lake: Next it was through the subways to Black Lake, where a propeller sculpture in Oakwood Park caught my eye. The Metro theme continued with a few shots at Black Lake tram stop, and I enjoyed a closer look at the Ridgeacre Branch Canal - I wouldn't mind exploring the branch more fully in future.
  • Hill Top: From Black Lake its on to Hill Top, pausing for photos of the Sow & Pigs before branching off down Coles Lane towards Hateley Heath. Here I do battle with the sun whilst attempting a glare-free shot of the Gough Arms, and then its along Witton Lane to track down the Three Horseshoes and the Junction. The walk is already proving to be dominated by pub photography, and the count rises further when I find the Cottage Spring on Crookhay Lane. There is a bit of relief however as I navigate my way through Balls Hill estate to find the Tame Valley Canal for some views of Balls Hill Bridge. I decide to stick with the canal along the short distance to Holloway Bank before heading into Wednesbury.
  • Wednesbury: The town seemed relatively quiet for a Friday mid-morning, so I indulged in a few views of the town clock and the post office/Co-op. The pubs weren't neglected, with the Turks Head, the Pig & Trumpet and the George all being duly captured, and then I continued up Church Hill for shots of the Woden (a bonus discovery as I can't recall spotting this particular local before) and a variety of views of the church itself, looking very imposing perched above with some wispy trees adding to the rather eerie atmosphere. Pressing onwards, I locate the Old Blue Ball pub on Hall End before beginning the hunt for a long standing photo target of mine...
  • Myvod: The target in question was the Myvod pub, an intriguing local landmark that I'd noticed in the timetable guides for the 313 bus. I can vaguely recall passing the pub on the 313 many years ago, but this would be my first proper look. I hike my way along Manor House Road, pausing momentarily for some shots of the shops on the junction with Park Lane. Next came the pub itself, situated on the corner of Park Lane and Myvod Road overlooking a mini-roundabout. The sun again seemed determined to interfere with my photos but I found a couple of half-decent angles, and was pleased to note the pub seemed very much open after a bit of prior research had suggested it had closed down.
  • Kings Hill: My walk had thus far taken me from Carters Green to the outskirts of Darlaston, and was still showing no sign of letting up. Kings Hill was my next location, where I investigated the Black Horse, a Thwaites' pub next to a playing field. Franchise Street soon beckoned to me as I was hoping for a picture of a Highgate pub that memory suggested was down here somewhere. I found the Highgate house (the intriguing Forge Tavern, not much sign of life though) sure enough, but also discovered Holden's Cottage Spring in the process. With two traditional backstreet locals within a stone's throw of each other, Franchise Street could well be worth another visit, assuming of course that the Forge Tavern is still trading.
  • Darlaston: I cross into Walsall territory now with a stroll into Darlaston Town Centre, with the latest pubs to capture my imagination including the Spring Head Tavern (closed and covered in fly posters), the Prince of Wales (a very tempting looking Holden's) and the Horse & Jockey. I settle down at the war memorial to rest my feet and grab some lunch, then suitably recovered I summon up the energy for the final leg of the day's adventures...
  • Herberts Park: A local estate that I was first introduced to by the old 639 bus, but which is now covered by the re-routed 339. I was hoping for a final couple of pub shots but was surprised at just how fruitful the visit turned out to be. The Staffordshire Knot at Catherine's Cross got the post-lunch ball rolling again (its an impressive corner landmark in its own right), and this was quickly followed by the Royal Exchange just around the corner - unfortunately the sun defeated any hopes of a photo here. Venturing deeper into the estate, I chance upon the Aladdin's Lamp on Wiley Avenue (I had no idea this one existed), which is in turn joined by the New Junction (closed and empty) and the Herberts Park Tavern (looking rather like a private residence that just happens to have retained some of the old pub lights and lettering). All cracking stuff, giving me plenty to think about as I plod up Herberts Park Road for a quick look at the Walsall Canal.
  • Moxley: I've called this post Metro to Myvod, but you could add 'to Moxley' on the end of that. From Heathfields Bridge I cross into Hughes Road, spotting a vandalised park before concluding the day's photographic forays with a sneaky snap of the local shops on Burns Road. I then wait outside the local pharmacy before catching a no-frills independents 339 into Bilston.
  • 575: I still had a bit of time to kill, so a ride on the 575 filled the gap neatly. The route is currently operated by Travel A2Z linking Wolverhampton and Ettingshall, and provided me with useful glimpses of Rough Hay, Midland Road and Noose Lane (so that's where the new Fibbersley Park School is hiding!).
Quite like the walk, this post seems to have gone on forever. I have to say though that the walk was well worth it, combining some fascinating local exploration with some fun photography. I just wonder how many of the pubs I photographed will still be around in a couple of years time...

No comments:

Post a Comment