Tuesday, April 29

Old Dudley Network: A Final Fling

As you may have noticed, I have spent a fair bit of time across Dudley recently exploring the local bus network before a wide range of revisions come into force. Last Saturday was the final day of the old network, so Rog and I marked the occasion with a commemorative outing.

We met up at Wombourne, giving me chance for photos of pubs such as the Vine and the Old Bush, and I even tracked down the Red Lion hidden away on Battlefield Hill. I also got a photo of the 261 bus at Wombourne Church - the controversial decision to withdraw the route has sparked much protest from residents of Wombourne, Swindon and Wall Heath who face losing their direct connection to Russells Hall Hospital.

Our first route of the day was the 260, itself due to be replaced by the 254 and 255. The route holds many memories for me of visits to the Merry Hill Centre, and it provided a nostalgic ride through Swindon, Hinksford, Kingswinford and Bromley whilst Rog gallantly battled his way through my latest thumbnail archive.

Merry Hill has never been our most favourite of locations, although it can prove a handy spot for photos providing the bus station isn't too busy. Most of the action on Saturday seemed to revolve around the travel centre where queues of people seemed to be enquiring about the changes. We managed a handful of photos whilst trying not to look too conspicuous.

Next came the 210 route, which was for me the highlight of the whole trip. We sampled a TWM Optare Solo for the ride down to Halesowen via Netherend, Fatherless Barn and Hawne - a classic bus trip journey that provided glimpses of Stevens Park and Cradley Heath. The 210 and its companion the 211 are to be replaced with the new 213 and 214 routes operated by Choice Travel as a Brierley Hill - Fatherless Barn circular service.

Come Halesowen, and I pounced for a 210 photo at Church Croft before we headed off for our first pub of the day, the Loyal Lodge (or is that the Labour of Love - don't ask!) on Furnace Hill. Thirst quenched we headed over to Hasbury for lunch, before settling down for a bit of an afternoon pub crawl based on the 247 and 248 routes. Of all the bus services serving Stourbridge, the 247 and 248 seem to be Rog's favourites, so it was only right that we should say goodbye in style.

This we did with visits to the Maypole, the Round of Beef and the Why Not - a good selection of distinctive local pubs I must say. Whilst the Why Not appealed to me as a proper traditional Black Country boozer, the fact that I beat Rog at pool at both of the other pubs rather leaves it trailing on this occasion. I think the Maypole ran out as my favourite in the end by virtue of one particular shot when I potted the black as straight as an arrow to secure my first ever frame win over the Rogster - he was so stunned he promptly lost a few more for good measure!

A thoroughly enjoyable day's exploring. It was great to say goodbye to some old favourites, and to squeak in that memorable ride on the 210 at the last minute was extra special. It's also a time for looking forward though, and I'm hopeful that the revised network will yield many fascinating adventures in the future - I think Rog has already set his sights on a pool rematch!

No comments:

Post a Comment