Monday, November 27

Time for a clearout

WME1 serves me pretty well as a test site on the whole. I play around with my photos, tweak them a bit and then see what I think before housing the photos permanently on the appropriate local WME gallery.

The thing with testing is that some photos don't quite make the cut. Usually these photos end up sitting around on WME1 waiting until I have another go at making them presentable, a placeholder type system until I get the photo right. Problem is, some photos tend to just stay there forever not doing anything and with no chance of full inclusion - thats where today comes in...

From time to time I like to blitz WME1 and just remove anything that gets in my way. The latest blitz took place this evening, and resulted in considerable carnage as I decided there were quite a few photos I didn't actually like that much - 101 of them in fact.

At the end of the mayhem, things do look a little clearer. I'm left by and large with photos I'm generally happy to include, plus a handful of remaining placeholder shots that I think are worth experimenting with a bit more before total discard. 101 photos is quite a chunk to take out, and who knows, some of the photos may resurface at some stage - I always tend to follow a blitz with a guilt trip that leads to some shots being reinstated.

Amongst the blitz survivors I'm happy with is a selection of my more recent photos. My inclination over the last year or so has been to concentrate on the older stuff, meaning very few of my latest shots get edited up and tested. A select band of pioneers have bravely entered WME territory though, the question is what do I do with them? As a general rule, any such photos are held in WME1 until I get through the archive to the point at which they were taken. It has become clear of late that this process could take months, years even, leaving me with a dilemma. I want to include my latest shots more quickly, but I want to deal with the archive thoroughly at the same time, so whats the answer? I think I might just know...

With the blitz over, WME currently includes 1,108 photos with 335 of those on WME1. The archive focus had served its purpose well, but the site was starting to stagnate just a touch. Doctor Paul prescribes an injection of newer photo material, lets hope it does the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment