Sunday, August 14

Shunning The Wellington Sunshine?

Depending on your point of view, we've either been treated to some wonderfully warm weather lately or it's too hot by far. I've enjoyed the unbroken sunshine but the heat is a tad too oppressive for me, hence my preference was to stay indoors during my recent Wellington wander...

- Wellington Station -
It's Friday 12th August 2022 and the mercury is already climbing beyond 30 degrees as I take the train from Wolverhampton into Telford territory. My admiration for Wellington's traditional railway architecture has been placed on record several times now but I still insist on repeat pictures of canopy columns and footbridge details, including a brief inspection of bay platform number 3 which doesn't seem to get used all that often. The lychgate for All Saints Church is bedecked with glorious hanging baskets as I begin my survey of the town centre; the structure serves as the local war memorial hence the presence of several poppy wreaths.  

- Boots Galore -
There are many familiar sights waiting to make their latest imprints on the WME archives, not least the Community Clock and Seaton Sports (both within the Market Square). I confirm the whereabouts of the Boot micropub for later and note that the Dun Cow has had something of a facelift, but perhaps the most visual new additions are a sequence of brightly-coloured boots strung between the rooftops along Crown Street. A brief brush with the bus station - a handful of Arriva steeds on duty - precedes a sweltering stroll via Victoria Avenue and Regent Street to reach the New Bucks Head, home to AFC Telford United. I took photos of the West Stand last November so this time around I concentrate on the Haybridge Road side of the stadium, complete with Jack Bentley Terrace and a Learning Centre. The ground capacity is around 5,500 and meets National League standards with potential to upgrade further to Football League level if necessary. 

- The Cock Hotel -
Emerging onto Watling Street, I'm keen to see what Joule's have done with the Cock Hotel, a longstanding old coaching inn that has guarded the Mill Bank crossroads for absolute yonks. The building actually used to be part of the original Joule's Brewery estate up until the 1970s so there is a pleasing sense of things coming full circle again. It's only my opinion of course but I'm highly impressed with the refurbishment, which for me marries the heritage aspects I already so admired with a sensitive modern approach that should stand the place in good stead for years to come. Gravitating towards the club room on account of its hammered copper tabletops and billiards ephemera, I savour a pint of Blonde while cooling off a little. 

- Arleston Community Centre Mural -
Making sure to reapply my protective layer of sunblock/horseradish, I brace myself for even higher temperatures as the afternoon progresses. Last year's Arleston adventure had been reasonably comprehensive in terms of mopping up photo targets but I had omitted the parade of shops on the corner of Dawley Road and Kingsland. These include Sidhu's Newsagents, a halal butchers and a Loco store, the latter of which houses Arleston Post Office. Just around the corner, St Giles Close provides access to Arleston Community Centre and has garages painted with a community mural that features The Wrekin, Mickey Bushell's golden postbox and Norah Wellings, a toy designer known for producing 'Jolly Boy' sailor dolls. 

- The Boot Micropub -
Not wishing to end up resembling a lobster, I seek the shade of my next watering hole albeit King Street does remind me about the abandoned New College site. Having began life as the Wellington Girls High School in Edwardian times, the college merged with Telford College of Arts and Technology in 2017 and several of its former educational facilities have since been demolished. Back in the centre of Wellington, I home in on the Boot Micropub which occupies a prime spot on the Market Square. Quality cask and craft is the order of the day here so I partake of Salopian Brainstorm (a 4.2% golden ale) followed by Fownes Korvak's Burden - yes the second of those is a breakfast stout but no amount of scorching temperatures can sway me from the darker ales entirely, even if some of the cans in the fridge look tempting. 

- Platypus Porter in the Pheasant -
The Boot has only been operational for a couple of months or so and is the sister outlet to Ironbridge's Coracle which I also happen to rate highly - I expect it to do well and possibly challenge for Good Beer Guide contention. Curiosity resoundingly satisfied, I nominate the Pheasant on Market Street as my final sun-sheltering salvation. As this is Rowton Brewery's taphouse I probably should be opting for Apollo or an Ironbridge Gold but no, Salamander's Platypus Porter gets the nod and what a good decision even if I say so myself. I don't know what Platypus tastes of but I can detect a hint of blackcurrant in what is billed as an oatmeal stout; either way it's a very nice pint on which to round off a sunkissed session. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. The Boot looks like a cracker pal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beermat - yes I have to say I was impressed with the Boot and have @EvoBoozerSaddler to thank for alerting me to the fact it had now opened. Wellington is well worth a visit and I really like what Joules have done with the Cock Hotel. Cheers, Paul

      Delete