Monday, July 22

Heatwave Homecoming

Friday 19th July 2013 and the soaring temperatures meant it was far too hot for me to attempt any expansive exploration. I did however enjoy a morning stroll around and about Bushbury Hill before settling down for some afternoon sporting action courtesy of the Ashes and the Open Golf...

- Site of Bushbury Pool -
I begin my wander up by Moreton School, recalling the days when the 598 used to terminate up here with Metrobuses doing a sweeping about turn at the top of Leacroft Avenue. Heading a little down Sandy Lane, there are more memories to reflect on as I look out over the spot where Bushbury Baths once stood. The building was never the most attractive piece of municipal architecture but it was where I learned to swim, so to see the site grassed over does seem a little sad.

- Base of the Saxon Cross -
The morning temperatures are already on the sticky side as I make my latest revisit to St Mary's Churchyard. The church itself is always worth a photograph or two but today I focus on the base of a preaching cross said to date from Saxon times. Some of the churchyard vegetation looks a little parched after the recent heat.

- Lazy Cows on Bushbury Hill -
Climbing back up to the top of the hill, I join the King Charles Walkway, a recently restored bridle path that follows the crest across towards Underhill. There are good views to be had on a clear day such as this, and the panoramic vistas of Staffordshire and Shropshire seem to have gained a few bovine admirers!

- Northycote Farm Herb Garden -
Another favourite haunt during my local walks is Northycote Farm where its always fun seeing what the animals are up to. This time around I also had a nose around the herb garden, which was delightfully presented with examples of parsley, oregano, basil and many other culinary specimens.

- Underhill House -
Passing the Crematorium I continue into Underhill where the Talisman pub, Westcroft Avenue shops and the number 11 bus terminus keep me occupied. I also have a look at Underhill House, a former Wolverhampton Council care home that is currently boarded up although I believe the building may get redeveloped as a doctors surgery. 

- Dickens Road -
Next up is a roam around The Scotlands, a somewhat notorious estate although efforts have been made to improve its reputation. I cast a quick glance at the Neil Dougherty Centre (which once housed the little Scotlands & Underhill Library) before investigating Tennyson Road by the play area and Ruskin Road by the local shops.

- Highcroft Hall -
I emerge back into the Bushbury Hill estate at the roundabout where Old Fallings Lane meets Whitgreave Avenue. The Highcroft pub was a landmark here for many years and was at one stage part of the JD Wetherspoon's empire, but nowadays the site is occupied by a residential care home known as Highcroft Hall. With that my two hour walk is almost over, and with my sun tan nicely topped up I can return home in bronzed fashion ready for lunch and some top class sporting entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment